Visa in arrival
Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Ministry of Home Affairs
Subject: Issuance of Visa on Arrival.
1) No.Sha.Ma (Immi-2)/1P-7/2006/2881; Date: 19-10-2006
2) No.Sha.Ma (Immi-2)/1P-7/2006/516; Date: 04-04-2007
3) No.Sha.Ma (Immi-2)/1P-7/2006/1434; Date: 19-08-2007
4) No.Sha.Ma (Immi-2)/1P-7/2008/1046; Date: 30-12-2008
5) No.Sha.Ma (Immi-2)/1P-7/2008/860; Date: 01-11-2009
1. In order to attract foreign investment and technologies, expansion of commerce and trade, and development of tourism, the government has decided to provide Visa on Arrival (VOA) to the foreign nationals including those of Bangladeshi origin. The immigration authority at the International Airports and Land ports after examining the necessary travel documents and being satisfied can issue visa on arrival for a period of maximum 30 days to the citizens of the countries mentioned below under the following conditions:
(a) The nationals of those countries where there is no diplomatic mission of Bangladesh may be granted visa on arrival after examining the genuineness of their visit;
(b) On the basis of invitation letters of interested/required body being attested by the Board of Investment/BEPZA, the foreign investors/businessmen may be allowed to issue visa on arrival. In this case, interested/inviting organization must inform in advance the arrival of the foreign visitor(s) to the immigration and passport authority.
(c) Only for the purpose of official duty, business, investment and tourism citizens arriving from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russian Federation, China, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, UAE, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and the countries of Europe may issue visa on arrival after examining and being satisfied by the immigration authority at the International Airports and Land Ports;
(d) If any foreign national arrives in Bangladesh from a country other than his/her own country, where there is no mission of Bangladesh may be issued visa on arrival;
(e) Bangladeshi origin foreign citizens, their spouses and their offspring may be issued visa on arrival, on the proof of their being Bangladeshi origin;
(f) The staffs/officials of the foreign missions, UN or its affiliated organizations located in Bangladesh may be issued visa on arrival after examining their appointment letters or other related documents. Only UN passport holders will get such facilities gratis (free of charge).
2. If the foreign visitors require extension of their visa after arriving Bangladesh under visa on arrival (VOA), the Department of Immigration and Passports Authority may extend their visa in light of the existing Visa Policy.
3. Transit visa will be allowed to the passengers waiting for connecting flight for the period of maximum 72 hours or till the time of the next available flight on request of the concerned carrier. For this an amount of 20 USD or equivalent amount of foreign currency is to be deposited in the concerned bank account.
4. In respect of visa on arrival the following procedures to be followed:
a) Visa fees are to be paid in foreign currencies (US dollar, GB Pound/Euro etc.);
b) Visitor must possess minimum USD 500 or its equivalent amount of foreign currency in cash or credit card;
c) Visitors must have return ticket;
d) Must have necessary documents to justify his/her visit;
e) No visa fee will be applicable for the visitors from these countries which are exempted from visa fee.
f) On arrival visa fee will be applicable on the basis of reciprocity only.
g) The concerned intelligence agency must collect complete information of visitors to take necessary action. The immigration authority at Airports and Land Ports will send a monthly report on this issue to the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Department of Immigration and Passports.
5. Visa on arrival shall be issued only after being satisfied about the purpose of visit. In case of foreign military or defense forces, prior approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs must be taken.
6. Immigration officials at the Airports and Land Ports must stamp the passports of the visitors.
7. All previous circulars in respect of visa on arrival will be treated as null and void after the commencement of this circular.
8. This circular will come into force at once.